Employees are a key resource, and the following are our top tips when considering employment of any staff in any business.
1. Make someone responsible for HR whether it is yourself or an expert manager, get them well trained and have available to them expert advice so they can take responsibility for staff and ensure there are clear lines of responsibility.
2. Contracts, handbooks and policies and procedures. Please make sure that these are well drafted by expert solicitors to set out clearly the areas of responsibilities, all duties, hours and restrictions that are necessary to protect the business.
3. Incentives. What are you doing to motivate staff through pay, bonuses, promotions, access to equipment or additional staffing? Be clear and be honest.
4. Investigations and disciplinary procedures. Getting this wrong can cost thousands of pounds. Please make sure there are properly drafted procedures for all investigations and disciplinary matters –
and follow them!
Leading regional law firm Peter Lynn and Partners have helped Swansea City FC launch their new networking group – City Business Network (CBN).
The event, which took place in the LT10 suite of the Liberty Stadium, was attended by many local business leaders and featured a panel Q&A with Swans COO Chris Pearlman, Low-Cost Vans Director Rod Lloyd and Senior Partner Peter Lynn.
The highlight of the event was a talk on leadership by Swans Manager Carlos Carvalhal who outlined his approach to man management as well as developing the right culture for success.
Peter Lynn commented, “As the preferred legal partner…
If you are going into a partnership or acquiring shares in a business the following matters should be carefully considered:-
1. Have you carried out due diligence on the business? Have you used expert professionals to look into the business? No matter how well you may think you know their company or firm get a third party look.
2. How well do you know the partners/shareholders? Have you known them a long time? Are they trustworthy? Do they have a good track record? What are their personal financial circumstances like?
3. Areas of responsibility. Set our clearly who does what and where…
Hiring a top commercial lawyer can add significant profits to the bottom line of any business. A good commercial lawyer can help all types of business in a number of ways including:
- Avoiding Disputes/ Dispute Resolution
All businesses need contracts and to operate on terms and conditions that are favourable to them in order to ensure that clients pay what is due and to maximise returns for the company.
In the event of a dispute, a good commercial litigator gets the resolution you want on the best possible terms.
Good contracts of employment and procedures can prevent disciplinary problems and…
If you are considering buying a business the following points of consideration are essential:-
- Get good accountancy advice. You are going to need an accountant at some stage in any event so you may as well get them in early to look at the target company. They can carry out full due diligence in respect of financial and tax matters.
- Consider the structure of the deal. Do you have to buy the shares or would it be possible to just buy the assets, goodwill and intellectual property? There are advantages in both scenarios, and much depends on the particular…
The New Build team within the residential conveyancing department of Peter Lynn and Partners have exchanged contracts on the first plot of Hale Homes’ new development.
Prince’s Wharf is a new development of 23 three and four bedroom townhouses located in the comfortable and convenient SA1 area of Swansea.
Ruth Jones, Sales Manager at Hale Homes, commented, “It is a small development in a growing residential area. A perfect location for those who want to experience a busy lifestyle with access to the coastal and city elements that Swansea offers.”
The exchange is the latest in a series of new build activity…